I kind of cheated a little. I had a bit of a preview of my bowls when I did my tutorial on how to paper piece using Lapel Stick.
I finished my set of 4 bowls. I originally had printed off a ton of bowl additions. I was going to originally make a ridiculously long one. I don't know why. I just wanted to.... but then we got an offer on our house and it was a quick, stressful closing so I didn't get that super long head start on my bowl project like I originally had envisioned... and then I was wonder what on Earth am I going to do with a ridiculously long stack of bowls? Make it in to a scarf?
So I set off to work again, thinking I would make just a stack of 7 and add a teapot then make a shelf above it and put some jars.. well, someone before me already kicked out a really cool version of that so I just had to do something else...
I had considered making potholders. They'd make really awesome potholders... but again, someone beat me to it so I chose to do something else yet again...
Then I had a brainstorm last Wednesday when I began to work on it again... Lapel Stick in hand (yes, I'm so sold on using it for paper piecing now. It is truly awesome!) I began to make another set of B, C & D bowls... but realized that my C bowl had the same bottom color as the top of the B bowl so I had to make another C bowl.. and then when I was sewing them together I misplaced my B bowl and put two C's next to each other.. Yeah.. I spent some time ripping but that's okay. After I figured out what had happened, it was quick going from there.
I quilted the center, purposely left the border unquilted - yes, I brought it downstairs for some better light and temporarily hung it on the fridge.
My oldest thought it was really funny. My youngest actually went to the sink to apply and then realized that he doesn't know how to was dishes. My husband thought it was cute and thought that we should get stronger magnets to hang it on the fridge with.. I explained to him the magnets were there to just hold it up so I could get a good picture of it but ya know what? I kinda like it there so I'll be thinking of somehow to hang it. It's been hanging there ever since so maybe I will get stronger magnets after all :)
I put quick corners in all 4 corners so that I could put a dowel on the top as well as the bottom to help keep it straighter... Had I quilted the border it would have helped tremendously but I really didn't want to detract from my border fabric. I regret that now but it's kinda too late since I have quick corners for hanging.... but it's all good :)
Overall I'm happy with my scrap fabric box set of bowls. I wonder how many of my relatives are now going to want their own.. I will say that next time I'll make sure I keep my B, C & D bowls in order - and not use 3 colors per bowl. I think 2 would be loads better!!